GDPR Compliance is a pressing concern for the business community of today. Financial service providers, insurance providers, app owners, government agencies etc all need to adhere to regulations governing the way how they make use of and protect data. It is hugely important to safeguard the data which is provided to you by your clients.
In fact, GDPR is one of the biggest leaps in data protection law. Now, this is sure to have a huge impact on your business. It is vital that you begin preparing for the same in order to ensure that your business is compliant when this law eventually comes into force in May. GDPR explicitly states that companies need to have a formal way to re-establish availability of, and access to, personal data of an individual. It should make sure that the same happens in a timely manner in event of any kind of technical or physical incident.
Related Blog: An Overview of GDPR
How to know whether you require GDPR data recovery?
- Can your organization locate all occurrences of personal data as regards a given data subject?
- Are you ready to recover the data in an appropriate manner with the proof that all information which is collected is true and data collection process is repeatable?
If the answer to any of these questions is with a no, this means you need to make your organization, app or website GDPR Compliant.
What does GDPR expect out of you?
GDPR states that business houses must safeguard privacy and personal data rights of EU citizens. Now, this is also applicable to all transaction which concerns EU citizens even if these transactions happen outside EU member states. What’s more is that these GDPR rules are applicable to controllers as well as processors, so the clouds are also not exempt from the enforcement.
All those who fail to comply with the rules will be fined heavily; a breach can lead to a fine of up to 40% of your annual global turnover or a whopping €20 million, whichever is greater. These fines are put for aberrations, such as holding inadequate customer consent for the processing of data etc. The fines are tiered, so basically, an organization might face 2% fine if it fails to have their records in proper order.
Because of GDPR organizations are now putting efforts to put their systems as well as processes in complete compliance with the regulation, also now they need to put into practice new standards protections of personal data as GDPR redefines the personal identification information. So no need to protect an individual’s IP address as well as cookie data in the same way how to regard their home address as well as health information.
Data Protection Officers
As per GDPR, there are specific internal records keeping stipulations. Also, it is compulsory for large corporations to employ data protection officers. DPOs possess expert knowledge with reference to data protection laws as well as practices.
GDPR requirements have radically transformed the manner in which you process, stock up, and safeguard a customers’ private data. Now, what you require is – GDPR compliance software solutions for gauging, putting into practice, and sustaining it.
GDPR data recovery process
Given below are six steps which you need for superior data recoverability:
- Determine what data you possess: Start with ascertaining the locations where the data is stored i.e. multiple formats, different applications, different departments, subsidiaries etc. Any data which is linked to personally identifiable information (PII) and is collected in reference to EU citizen needs to be located.
- Build a thorough data recovery system-Identify places of probable data breaches. Notify the citizens as well as authorities about cases of personal data breaches within a maximum span of 72 hours.
- Apply the security techniques-Make use of techniques like dynamic pseudonymization, data masking, and encryption so as to make sure that data is disguised and no longer individually identifiable.
- Get rid of single points of failure-Your present system of compliance as well disaster recovery plans will not adequately account for data loss or data corruption. The cost of DR testing is extremely high if you seek to prove sustained compliance. The existing DR plan needs to be updated in order to promote GDPR compliance.
- Promote timely recovery of data-Develop as well as document your process in order to recover the data and be in agreement with IT as well as risk management teams on anticipated recovery times.
- Implement testing as well as simulation-Carry out recovery simulation and document the techniques followed for the same unmistakably. By doing this you will be able to identify the bottlenecks in the whole process, once you get rid of these issues, data recovery will be faster.
These steps will enable to go on the track with GDPR Compliance.
GDPR for Mobile App developers
Android or iPhone App developers’ bear directly on a users’ personal data so GDPR is applicable to them. App owners need to verify complete visibility as well as real-time control over how the app is used. They need to have complete knowledge regarding how information regarding the user is obtained, stored, transferred and finally used so that data security is improved. Security is bolstered with upgrades to servers and new firewall configurations. Developers and publishers should have a track of any changes which happen within the data. This connotes that full history of any changes to data needs to be documented. All data which is transferred between app and server needs to be encrypted and secured, this needs to be done besides hashing of the user passwords.
In order to make sure that data processors can build a correct history of changes along with promising confidentiality, measures mentioned below need to be carried out in mobile app design, installs as well as usage:
- Find out whether your app actually needs all of the data which it has collected
- Offer complete information to the user and gather his or her consent
- Respond to all requests made by the user
- Encrypt the user data
- Make sure that users have updated information regarding security incidents
- Have complete knowledge of your technology as well as probable weak links
By taking all these steps you can actually achieve GDPR Compliance. You can also take the assistance of service provider who will guide you through the process.